Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Artist (2011)



I had heard and read so many good things about this film (mostly from critics like Roger Ebert), and then after the Oscars, I really wanted to know why it was generating so much acclaim, and I also wanted to see how it compared to the original silent films.

And now, after having watched the film, I can see why the critics love it.  It says so much without saying much.  The body language, the way that the actors communicate with their facial expressions is superb.  You feel what they feel, instead of hearing what they say.  The camera angles and visual storytelling match the emotional content of the film, i.e. camera turn to a slanted perspective whenever the character experiences inner turmoil.  Overall, it's a well crafted movie, a thoughtful tribute to the silent era, and while I wouldn't rate it among the great silent films (Metropolis, The Unholy Three, Nosferatu, The General, etc.) it serves as a capable bridge connecting our modern times with that of the past.

(And in case you were wondering, NO I didn’t like it more than DRIVE!  And I still think DRIVE should have got the Oscar for best picture.)

4 comments:

  1. Everyone is telling me I should see this movie. I will have to. I thought Drive was good:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's had great reviews over here too.
    I still watch 'The General' every time I catch it on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The General is a great one to see. Buster Keaton at his best.

      Delete